Paul specialises in complex property litigation, high net worth matters, cross-border disputes, prenuptial Financial Agreements, and restructuring family property in a tax effective manner.
He also has a special interest in international property and relocation cases, involving the adjustment and treatment of assets located internationally, including Asia, Europe, the United Kingdom and the United States of America. Paul is a Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers (IAFL) and has access to a wide network of family law solicitors and professionals across the globe.
Paul was a partner of K&L Gates’ legacy firm, Middletons, between 1993 and 2010. At the time he joined Middletons, it was a commercial and mercantile law firm which did not offer expertise in family law. Over the ensuing period of 15 years, Paul built a substantial practice as the head of the Family Law Practice Group, which he then merged with Taussig Cherrie & Associates in 2010, to become Taussig Cherrie Fildes.
Paul is a presenter of Case Watch on the Television Education Network which produces educational presentations and material for lawyers. He has published numerous papers and comments on current family law issues. Paul also regularly presents at seminars on behalf of various professional bodies on a wide variety of family law topics, with an emphasis on complex financial matters.
He is a qualified Family Law arbitrator and mediator, and is also a trained collaborative lawyer.
Paul was a former Chair and Executive member of the Family Law Section of the Law Institute of Victoria. He was previously the Victorian Solicitor Representative of the Family Law Section of the Law Council of Australia, and a former Chair of the FLS National Biennial Family Law Conference and on the Board at Relationships Australia (Vic).
Paralegal/Personal Assistant: Claire O’Hara
- Presenter at family law Continuing Legal Education seminars conducted by Legalwise and the Television Education Network
- Bachelor of Laws (1981)
- Bachelor of Economics (1981)
- Graduate Diploma of Family Law (1990)
- Accredited Family Law Specialist, Law Institute of Victoria (since 1989)
- Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers (IAFL)
- Qualified Regulation 67B Arbitrator (AIFLAM)
- Member of the Family Law Section of the Law Council of Australia
- Member of the Family Law Section of the Law Institute of Victoria