Carolyn joined the firm in 2010 and has practised exclusively in the area of family law since her admission in 2005. She became an Accredited Family Law Specialist in October 2011 and brings to every matter a high attention to detail, strategic advice and a comprehensive knowledge of family law.
Carolyn has a strong commercial focus and has acted for many clients with complex financial arrangements. She works closely with her clients’ accountants and other professional advisors to ensure all aspects of a settlement are pro-actively considered and resolved, including taxation consequences and restructuring.
Carolyn has extensive experience in parenting arrangements, including relocation matters, matters where there are allegations of risk, intervention orders and family violence. She takes pride in helping her client’s establish arrangements which are child-focused, provide certainty and are practical both in the short and longer term.
While providing her clients with confidence and support, Carolyn delivers practical, easy-to-understand and outcome driven advice in a cost-effective manner. She is skilled at assisting clients to reach an early resolution through mediation, and also in court litigation. Carolyn conducts trials and appeals in the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia.
Carolyn mentors junior lawyers within the firm. She also regularly attends continuing legal education and reviews recent cases to ensure she continues to provide the highest level of advice.
Carolyn has written several articles that have been published on topics including third party rights under the Family Law Act, less adversarial trials in children’s matters and international child abduction.
Personal Assistant: Georgina Mansell
- Former member of the Property & Maintenance Committee, Family Law Section, Law Institute of Victoria
- Former Chairperson of the Junior Family Lawyers Committee, Family Law Section, Law Institute of Victoria
- Former board member of the Eastern Community Legal Centre
- Former volunteer at the Eastern Community Legal Centre
- Author of several published articles, covering topics such as ‘third party rights under the Family Law Act’, ‘less adversarial trials in children’s matters’ and ‘international abduction’
- Former research assistant to Professor Belinda Fehlberg and Professor Sean Cooney at the University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours) (Melb)
- Bachelor of Arts (Political Science Major) (Melb)
- Accredited Family Law Specialist, Law Institute of Victoria
- Member of the Family Law Section of the Law Council of Australia
- Member of the Family Law Section of the Law Institute of Victoria